Oregon City 2017 — photo 50 of 117: A memorial obelisk on the corner of Main and 8th Streets in downtown Oregon City, on the Willamette River at Willamette Falls, at the southern end of the Portland metro area. May 2017. The plaque on it reads:
Willamette River (Oregon City) Bridge ObeliskThis original Art Deco inspired obelisk was donated by the Oregon Department of Transportation during the 2010-2012 restoration of the Willamette River (Oregon City) Bridge (now referred to as the Arch Bridge).
This obelisk embodies the hallmark design of the renowned bridge engineer Conde B. McCullough whose bridges are well known for their architectural splendor. McCullough’s signature detailing is evident in this pylon and can be found on many of the bridges he designed in Oregon.
Built to replace a wooden suspension bridge, the Arch Bridge was opened to the public on December 28, 1922. Added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 2005, the bridge is a historic link between Oregon City and West Linn and is located just downstream from the 40-foot high Willamette Falls.
For further details about the story behind this photo, see the related article Exploring Oregon City On Foot.