Oregon City 2017 — photo 5 of 117: A plaque highlighting the historical significance of Oregon City, in front of the Clackamas County Courthouse in downtown Oregon City, on the Willamette River at Willamette Falls, at the southern end of the Portland metro area. May 2017. The plaque reads:
Old Oregon TrailIn 1843 the “Great Migration” of ox teams and covered wagons arrived at Oregon City, blazing the Old Oregon Trail through to the Valley of the Willamette, making a two-ocean country of the United States.
Barlow RoadIn 1846 Samuel R. Barlow and Philip Foster built a cut-off to the Old Oregon Trail south of Mt. Hood across the Cascade Range in the fall. 152 wagons arrived at Oregon City over this road.
Oregon CityOnce known as Willamette Falls, named Oregon City by Dr. John McLoughlin, who had it platted in 1842. Capital of the Provisional Government 1843-9; capital of Oregon Territory 1849-50; Oregon Spectator, first newspaper west of Missouri River, est. 1846. First Protestant church (Methodist) west of Rockies, 1844; first incorporated town west of Missouri River, 1844; erection of first Catholic archdiocese in the West, 1846; first Masonic Lodge west of the Rockies, 1848; first long distance electrical transmission line in United States, Oregon City to Portland, 1889.
Sponsored by Oregon Council, American Pioneer Trails As'n, erected by Oregon City Chamber of Commerce, Nov. 1946.
For further details about the story behind this photo, see the related article Exploring Oregon City On Foot.