Portland Lone Fir Cemetery 2016 — photo 12 of 12: The Macleay Mausoleum in the historic (established in 1855) Lone Fir Cemetery in Southeast Portland, Oregon, September 2016. According to Friends of Lone Fir Cemetery:
This is the cemetery’s oldest and largest mausoleum, meaning that coffin burials are in enclosures above ground. It is located in Block 17. Nine individuals rest here.Camera used: Olympus OM-D E-M5 with Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom lens.
Donald Macleay (1834-1897) was born in Scotland and arrived in Oregon in 1866. He and his business partner, William Corbitt, established a highly profitable wholesale and shipping business in Portland involving groceries, liquor, wheat, salmon, and timber, and he invested in Oregon railroads, real estate, and Portland businesses.
He married Martha MacCulloch (1840-1876), who was famous for her beautifully landscaped home in southwest Portland. Martha asked her husband’s ship captains to bring her plants from their ports of call and these exotic varieties were the basis of Oregon’s horticultural industry. The property was donated to the Episcopal Church and is now known as Elk Rock Gardens of the Bishop’s Close. The gardens are open to the public.
Martha died the day after giving birth to their fourth child and Donald built the mausoleum as a tribute to her in 1877-1878. It was built of red sandstone to resemble the Macleay home in Ross Shire, Scotland, and cost $13,500. The chapel on the second floor was open to the public until the early 1980s when vandals damaged the interior and broke all but one of the original stained glass windows.
Donald and Martha’s youngest child, Martha, married Thomas Kerr, younger brother of Peter Kerr, linking her prominent family with another one in the city. The Macleay name lives on in Macleay Park, now a part of Forest Park, Macleay Boulevard, and the Clan Macleay Pipes and Drums.
For further details about the story behind this photo, see the related article Portland’s Historic Lone Fir Cemetery.