Portland Lone Fir Cemetery 2016 — photo 11 of 13: A tombstone monument to one of the leading pioneers in early Portland, Oregon, in the city’s historic (established in 1855) Lone Fir Cemetery, September 2016. It reads:
Dr. James C. Hawthorne moved to Portland in 1857 at the age of 38. A couple of years later he was a co-founder of the Oregon Hospital for the Insane, and its superintendent for 20 years. In 1862 the hospital was moved to a new permanent home, a building located on “Asylum Avenue” (renamed Hawthorne Avenue / Boulevard in 1888 / 1933) not far from Lone Fir Cemetary. Dr. Hawthorne promised a decent burial to any of his patients who died in his care if they had been abandoned by their families (which was common at the time). Over the next two decades, 132 patients were buried at Lone Fir, as well as Dr. Hawthorne.
Camera used: Olympus OM-D E-M5 with Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom lens.
For further details about the story behind this photo, see the related article Portland’s Historic Lone Fir Cemetery.